- Greening the city Sydney Trains Network
The safe, reliable and efficient running of the Sydney train network is essential in keeping millions of Sydney-siders on the move, reducing traffic congestion and supporting a cleaner, greener city. Faced with an aging network and rising demand, Sydney Trains partnered with Schneider Electric to ensure the implementation of its critical electrical equipment.
Challenge• With Sydney’s population set to grow by 1 million over the next ten years, an upgrade was needed to secure the critical switchgear for the future network
• Built in 1970, the Redfern Substation was running on aging switchgear and fuse switches
• The location of the switch room was directly above a platform at a critical station on the Sydney Trains Network, meaning there was limited space for upgrades
• It also meant that any upgrade period would have a significant impact on the commuters, the solution needed therefore to be put in place within a three-day period
Efficiency and Sustainability with EcoStruxure
Edge Control: Foxboro Remote Terminal Unit
Connected products: 11 kV Premset Switchgear
• Schneider Electric proposed Premset to Sydney Trains, a new generation of switchgear technology that is compact , easy to install and robust enough to future-proof the ongoing safe, efficient operations
• Premset has a core focus on safety; the insulation and screening of all live parts ensures a trouble-free service life, while SF6-free technology enhances peace of mind
• Thanks to its plug and play interface, Premset was installed within a tight timeframe, minimising the disruption to commuters
• The majority of testing was completed off-site in the factory at Benalla with only critical testing done on site
Learn how your business can achieve success with Innovation At Every Level.
- Meet Premset The new generation of MV switchgear
Featuring the innovative Shielded Solid Insulation System (SSIS) – a new way to design, install, and operate MV networks.Learn more about Premset
Shielded Solid Insulated Switchgear (2SIS) for Medium Voltage SwitchgearDiscover the technology that fits harsh environments and drastically reduces internal arc probability.
Results• With new Premset switchgear in place, Sydney Trains team have a new-found confidence in their network
• Greater operational flexibility, with ability to remotely manage the network and isolate issues
• Ongoing operating costs significantly decreased thanks to minimum maintenance requirements
• Sydney’s commuters, visitors and dwellers will be able to enjoy safe, swift and sustainable journeys across Sydney’s city centre for many years to come
“Premset is smart grid ready, so looking to the future the Sydney Trains Network can be sure they have the most advanced protection and energy-efficient solution in place.” - Mo Mansour Sydney Trains Project Manager.