Technical FAQs

Ask a Question

How do you cross an FAL style Mag-Gard breaker to Powerpact?

What is the Powerpact equivalent to an FAL, FAP, or FAF style Mag-Gard MCP (motor circuit protector)?

Product Line:
Circuit Breakers

Legacy FAL type circuit breakers

FA type Mag-Gard circuit breakers (motor circuit protectors) can be replaced by Powerpact MCP's, but there are some important differences.  These two families of breakers have different dimensions, connection points, and accessories.  Because of this, the equipment they are in will usually require some modification and in some cases replacement of the equipment will be necessary.  Please see attached for the different dimensions.
The best cross for Legacy FA type MCP to Powerpact MCP are as follows:
 Legacy Powerpact
 FAL3600311M   HJL36030M71
 FAL3600712M   HJL36030M71
 FAL3601513M   HJL36030M71
 FAL3603013M   HJL36030M71
 FAL3603015M   HJL36030M71
 FAL3605014M   HJL36050M72
 FAL3605016M   HJL36050M72
 FAL3610016M   HJL36100M73
 FAL3610018M   HJL36100M73
 FAL3615024M   HJL36150M74

Sizing is not the same and replacement will not work with existing handle operator.  If MCC, replace the complete bucket.
FAP  . . . crosses to HJP . . .
FAP . . . MT crosses to HJM . . .
FAF  . . . crosses to HJF . . .
Other suffixes must be decoded using available literature or technical support line.
Was this helpful?
What can we do to improve the information ?