Technical FAQs

Ask a Question

Are AFCIs required in a college dorm room? <br />

All 15A or 20A, 120V branch circuits in dwelling units supplying outlets in family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas must be protected by a listed AFCI device of the combination type [210.12(B)]. If your college dorm room meets the definition of a dwelling unit, you must comply with this rule. Remember that a dwelling unit is a space that provides independent living facilities, with space for eating, living, and sleeping; as well as permanent facilities for cooking and sanitation [Article 100]. It is often the presence of permanent provisions for cooking that determines whether or not a dorm room is a dwelling unit.`` Mike Holt Newsletter

CTA-ID : 2049346
Was this helpful?
What can we do to improve the information ?